Monday, January 27, 2014

Thoughts on holiness, part 1

Recently, in a fit of depression, I was encouraged by a friend to do a study on holiness. 

Coming from a fundamental baptist background, holiness is a touchy subject for me. When I was encouraged to do this study, I was also in a really bad place. I think it's largely because I come from lists of do's and don'ts, and I burned out trying so hard. I was doing a lot of the right things, but holiness seemed elusive to me. So why bother trying? Also, with my depression issues, I was told the depression would disappear as I became more holy, and that didn't happen. So again, why bother trying?

Thankfully, God taught me some things about Himself and is still teaching me things about Himself and myself all the time. 

I do better when studying a book of the Bible, so I decided to just study I Peter. I came away with several thoughts. 

1. The gospel is central to holiness. You can't even get past the first phrase without realizing the foundation of holiness. "To those who are elect." In his foreknowledge, He chose me. Holiness begins at the core: the gospel. I have been chosen and set apart by His grace. Verse 1 also says, "may grace and peace be multiplied to you." How do I explain when I am "out of sorts" or responding sinfully? Often it can be as basic as forgetting that I am elect. I lose sight of the fact that I am redeemed by the gospel of Jesus Christ. 

2. Hardship and holiness are intricately linked. v6 "In this you rejoice though now for a little while, if necessary, you have been grieved by various trials. v7 so that the tested genuineness of your of your faith --more precious than gold that perishes--though it is tested by fire, may be found to result in praise and honor at the revelation of Jesus Christ." 

God uses hardship to sanctify, purify and test. He produces holiness through hardship if we submit to His work. Holiness also helps us endure hardship. Let's face it, life is messy. We need to pursue God. When we don't, we sin and mess up. I do that all the time. Unfortunately, we don't often pursue God as fully on the mountain as we do in the valley. 

3. Holiness is not about pursing holiness; it's about pursuing God. v.8 "Though you have not seen him, you love him. Though you do not now see him, you believe in Him." The joy and the holiness come from believing in Him, but we can't believe in Him if we do not know Him. One of the best studies I've ever done was on the attributes of God. I realized very quickly, He wasn't the big, bad meanie I created Him to be in my mind. He was good, loving, and merciful. Knowing Him is essential to desiring to obey Him. 

4. The mind is the battleground in holiness. v. 13 "Therefore, prepare your minds for action, and being sober minded. . . " Set our thoughts, and our behavior will follow. If I set my mind on my circumstances and how hopeless they seem (which I have done recently). . . I will respond sinfully. If I set my mind on myself, I will respond sinfully. If I set my mind on God and the gospel and who I am in Christ, I open myself to His work of sanctification, which produces holiness. Of course depression is a mind and body issue, but the mind is central to the attack and the fight. 

thanking the Lord for these truths this week and praying He will continue to change my messy life and use it for His glory!

No comments: